Minutes of Meeting 10th August 2015

Aug 10, 2015

Minutes of Rotary Club of Gloucester’s Council meeting on Monday, August 10th 2015

Club number 19313 | Charity number  274097

1. PRESENT

Ian Stuart (president), David Seed, Martin Henshaw, Sue Smith, John Smith, Sarah Powell, Jan Layton-Smith, Amanda Chamberlayne, and John Lovell (secretary).

2. APOLOGIES

Angela Seddon, John Weygang, Clive Hannis

3. MINUTES

Minutes of the July meeting were signed without amendment.

4. MATTERS ARISING

All matters under this head were dealt with elsewhere on the agenda.

5. PRESIDENT’S REPORT

  • The President said he had received an e-mail from the Guildford Rotary Eye Project offering to give the club a promotional talk. It was agreed to invite a representative.
  • Ian reported progress on arrangements for a charity concert at Gloucester Cathedral on February 6, 2016 featuring the London Welsh Voice Choir to raise money for mobile chemotherapy units in the county. It was agreed that (i) a charity representative be invited to talk to the club on October 23 (ii) tickets should be available for members to take to other clubs during a club scatter week in October/ November (iii) proceeds should be shared equally between the club and the charity and (iv) any flyer/ publicity/tickets should identify charities being supported by our club through the event.
  • Leave of absence for Sue Smith was granted from November 18 – March 18.

6. SENIOR VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Martin Henshaw said he would take the lead in making arrangements for the District Conference from 11-13 March 2016 in Weymouth when further details were known (via David Seed). He also reported that there would be mini district conventions on October 15, January 14 and March 3 and that a District Assembly would take place on April 23rd 2016.

7. JUNIOR VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Nothing to report

8. IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT’S REPORT 

In Clive’s absence further details of the visit to Gloucester by junior high school pupils from Kamaishi in Japan for the World Rugby Cup were unavailable. Clive had agreed to liaise with the Kamaishi Rotary Club and see in what way we might facilitate the students’ visit and invite them to a club meeting. Ian said he would have a word with Clive and ensure John Sargent was kept informed.

9. SECRETARY’S REPORT  

Nothing to report

10. TREASURER’S REPORT

In a brief report treasurer Martin Henshaw reported

  • There were no problems although he was still chasing up subs from a couple of club members.
  • Last year’s Trust Fund had now been audited and signed off by auditor Nigel Halls and John Weygang, as assistant treasurer, was now responsible for the charity account

11. COMMITTEE REPORTS

MEMBERSHIP

Sarah P said there was nothing further to report.

FELLOWSHIP AND HOUSE

Jan Layton-Smith will check with David Seed to ensure the accuracy of words and images on a projected display board promoting Rotary for use at the Wall’s Club.

INTERNATIONAL/FOUNDATION

John Smith said there was nothing further to report.

COMMUNITY/YOUTH

David Seed reported

  • That his committee  – following a suggestion by former Mayor Chris Chatterton -were looking into ways of helping young carers in Gloucestershire. This might involve supporting leisure or evening events to give young carers quality time with their contemporaries. This is a development of the work the club already undertakes with adult carers in conjunction with Gloucestershire Carers (a separate organization).
  • David said that following the successful launch of the club’s Rotary Community Awards he had received offers of help with car parking and club collections from both individuals and organizations. Such offers might be used to recreate and relaunch the Friends of Rotary initiative.  Sarah P would be keeping contact details
  • David said that it was under discussion whether to expand club invitations to Kids Out to six classes from six city primary schools rather the existing four.
  • Referring to a projected combined Rotary Cathedral Concert for young musicians from local schools on March 18, 2016, David said that a similar concert  – organised by city schools themselves – was already well established and held at the Cathedral in June. Would there be a clash or would there be sufficient support for both? One suggestion was that the Rotary concert might raise cash for young carers. David said he would convey club comments to the other clubs involved and report back.

SPORTS/SOCIAL

Sue Smith presented the committee report.

  • Sue said a boules match for club members arranged for August 13 would have to be cancelled for lack of support.
  • Next year’s projected date for the Senior Citizens’ Party coincided with the Inner Wheel Conference so she was seeking to find a new date for the event at King’s School.

COMMUNICATIONS

In Jeremy Keck’s absence there was nothing to report.

FUNDRAISING

Amanda said she had been to Oxstalls with Martyn White and additional signage would be required for Rugby World Cup parking there. David S reported that one carriageway of the dual carriageway in Estcourt Road was being closed for coach parking during the games.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

A brief discussion was held on how best to fund future visits of members and partners from the Rodez Rotary Club following this year’s problems when a larger-than-expected number of visitors from Rodez meant that additional club monies had to be made available to ensure a successful visit. However, as treasurer Martin pointed out, of the £600 made available only £230 had been spent. It was agreed that options for funding be discussed at the September business meeting.

The next council meeting will be on September 21 – same venue, same time.

PLEASE NOTE THE SECRETARY IS ON LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM AUGUST 18 UNTIL OCTOBER 12. ANGELA SEDDON HAS GENEROUSLY OFFERED TO COVER WHILE JOHN IS AWAY. IF YOU WANT ANYTHING CIRCULATED PLEASE SEND IT TO ANGELA PLEASE. 

Council Minutes

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap