Minutes of Meeting 14th May 2018

May 14, 2018

Minutes of Rotary Club of Gloucester’s Council meeting on Monday, 14 May 2018

Club number 19313 | Charity number 274097

1. PRESENT

President Sue Smith, Matt Cass, Amanda Chamberlayne, Martin Henshaw, Robert Hall, Peter Nesbitt, David Seed, John Smith and Chris Soane.

2. APOLOGIES

Jeremy Keck, Jan Layton-Smith, John Lovell and John Weygang.

3. MINUTES

The minutes of the April meeting were signed without amendment

4. MATTERS ARISING

Any matters arising were dealt with under other agenda headings.

5. PRESIDENT’S REPORT

President Sue reported that a request had been received from Gloucester Cathedral for support in purchasing batteries for the 2 defibrillators purchased through the joint efforts of our Club and the Inner Wheel of Gloucester for the Cathedral 5 years ago. The total cost of replacement is £564. The discussion centred on the precedent that would be created if we supported this request and the immediate reaction was to regret that we cannot help. The President advised that she would discuss with Inner Wheel and report back in due course.

The original Charter, currently held by David Seed in his study for safekeeping, was inspected and it was decided to have it reframed with protective glass and to see if it can be kept in the Club box for display at future meetings.

The President’s final Council meeting would be held at ‘Greek on the Docks’ on Monday, 18 June. To date acceptances had been taken from, President Sue, Matt Cass, Peter Nesbitt and David Seed. Apologies from Amanda Chamberlayne, Martin Henshaw, John Smith.

6. IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT

Nothing to report

7. PRESIDENT ELECT’S REPORT

The President Elect shared with Council his draft report to Club Assembly on Friday, 25 May 2018.

He attended the District Assembly and enjoyed the content and the camaraderie while noting that it is essential for the club to be represented at future Assemblies, a pre-condition for any club to be able to submit requests for District and Global Grants.

John Smith is appointed as the Club Foundation Officer. He is aware that any initial requests for grant support haveto be lodged with District by 25 May.

GDPR comes in to effect on 25 May 2018, although it is unlikely that small charities, such as ours, will be subject to scrutiny in the early days, Peter N will discuss with FLM how to ensure compliance as soon as possible.

8. JUNIOR PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Nothing to report

9. SECRETARY’S REPORT

Nothing to report.

10. TREASURER’S REPORT

Nothing to report.

11. COMMITTEE REPORTS

MEMBERSHIP

Nothing to report.

COMMUNITY AND YOUTH

Chair of Community and Youth advised that he had handed over responsibility for this Committee to Richard Wright at a well-attended meeting where a range of new ideas, particularly from members new to this committee, were discussed

John Sargent has been appointed the RYLA Officer. 3 candidates have been interviewed and found acceptable and, while only 2 will be supported by our club, the third may be offered a place by another club in the City.

David Seed, in his last appearance at Council, advised that, in his role as the independent Chair of the Rotary in Gloucester Community Awards that 35 applications had been received with 24 gaining approval. There is currently a shortfall in funds to meet the full cost of the applications; however, one of the other Clubs may be is the position to make up the difference. The Community Awards lunch will be held on Friday, 15 June 2018 at the Wall’s Club.

FUNDRAISING

Nothing to report.

SPORTS AND SOCIAL

Beyond thanking Amanda for her outstanding support and energy in planning and leading the visit by our sister club in Rodez – which was a great success – nothing to report.

INTERNATIONAL

The project in Fiji is proceeding well now that the rainy season, which included 3 major floods, has passed. It is proposed to make a further small grant (£1,000) to the project in RY18/19 and to apply for a District Grant to provide further facilities for the new medical centre the name of which will reflect Rtn Colin Eynon and our club.

FELLOWSHIP AND HOUSE

Nothing to report.

WEBSITE

Nothing to report.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

President Sue said she intends to have the ‘Grand Opening’ of the Boules court at Wall’s at 2:00 pm immediately following the club meeting on Friday, 22 June.

It was confirmed that there will be no change in the list of Honorary Members which are specific to the offices held. These are: Lord Lieutenant of the County; Bishop of Gloucester; High Sheriff of Gloucestershire; The Mayor of Gloucester; Deputy Chief of Support Staff ARRC; and, the Leaders of the Salvation Army in Gloucester.

Date of next meeting – Monday, 18 June 2018. Incoming President Chris intends to hold his Council Meetings on the 2nd Monday of each month – the first meeting of the new Council will be held on Monday 9 July at a location to be circulated in due course.

Council Minutes

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap