Minutes of Meeting 18th April 2016

Apr 18, 2016

Minutes of Rotary Club of Gloucester’s Council meeting on Monday, April 18th 2016

Club number 19313 | Charity number 274097

1. PRESENT

Ian Stuart (president), John Smith, Peter Nesbitt, Sue Smith, Jan Layton-Smith, John Weygang and John Lovell

2. APOLOGIES

Amanada Chamberlayne, Martin Henshaw, David Seed and Matt Cass

3. MINUTES

Minutes of the March meeting were signed without amendment

4. MATTERS ARISING

Jan L-S agreed to attend the District Assembly on April 23rd and report back to club on matters of interest.

5. PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Area meeting:- Ian said he had been asked by district officer Paul Kerrod if the club could host an area meeting at the end of April/beginning of May. Unfortunately following the initial approach by Paul, Ian had been unable to contact him by telephone and e-mails had gone unanswered

6. IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT

No report

7. PRESIDENT ELECT’S REPORT

Council noted that Martin H had circulated an updated list of the proposed committee structure and had raised queries about the composition and numbers serving on club council for his presidential year. Since neither referred to the current presidential year it was agreed to leave both until the May council meeting which President Ian suggested could also be a shadow meeting of next year’s council if Martin agreed and when such items might best be discussed.

8. JUNIOR VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Nothing to report

9. SECRETARY’S REPORT

Nothing to report

10. TREASURER’S REPORT

Council agreed to endorse Martin’s recommendations that (a) the membership subscription for the Rotary Year 2016/17 remain at £150 based on planning for a balanced budget and (b) that payment to Foundation be reduced from £2,250 to £2,150 based on voluntary contributions for the current financial year.

11. COMMITTEE REPORTS

MEMBERSHIP

New membership chair Peter Nesbitt reported

  • The Friends document drawn up by Martin H had been agreed by his committee and could now be actioned
  • An A4 questionnaire would be compiled and it was agreed proposed questions should be circulated to council members prior to circulation around the club.
  • Council agreed a committee suggestion that attendance information should be made available to all members on a six monthly basis. The nature of such a document was discussed and council suggested the criteria for leave of absence and the apology system should be reconsidered and form part of such a document.
  • It was agreed that the President should write to the following inviting them to become honorary club members:- Salvation Army majors, the Bishop of Gloucester, the Mayor of Gloucester, Commander of AARC, County Council chair and the High Sheriff of Gloucestershire. Council members suggested additional members which Peter agreed to take back to the membership committee for further consideration.
  • There are three prospective new members – John Stubbings, Frank Lloyd-Murray and Chris Rawlings all of whom Peter intends to process and induct before the end of the current presidential year – thus taking the number of new members this year to six.
  • The President agreed to contact both Andrew Holloway and Rob Hall to ascertain their future intentions over continued membership of the club and report back in May.

FELLOWSHIP AND HOUSE

Nothing new to report

INTERNATIONAL/FOUNDATION

John S reported (a) A letter of appreciation from Sri Lanka thanking the club following the successful completion of a health project there. (b) No further progress on the Dornakel School for the Deaf project in India (c) He was still awaiting from Peter Drysdale the identification and costing of a project in Fiji in memory of Colin Eynon .

COMMUNITY/YOUTH

In David Seed absence Peter N said that the committee’s programme was proceeding as planned. In a written report to council David had emphasized that because of an anticipated record turnout of children for the Kids Out event at Cattle Country on June 8 it is vital that there is significant support from club Rotarians for the whole or part of the day.

SPORTS/SOCIAL

Sue S said that an added dimension to this year’s meeting with Rodez – which will take place in Barcelona between Friday, May 20th and Tuesday May 24th – was an informal buffet during which Gloucester, Rodez, a Spanish club and Rotarians from Holland would meet and discuss current projects. Closer to home Sue said her committee would be arranging a new members evening when Rotary information could be circulated and fellowship fostered. She agreed to include new members’ partners in the invitation.

COMMUNICATIONS

No report

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

No matters were discussed under this agenda item

The next council meeting will take place on Monday, May 16th – same venue, same time.

Council Minutes

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap